Tuesday, May 17, 2011

ကဆုန္လျပည့္ေန႕

It is a public holiday in Singapore today. They call it Vesak Day (Buddha's birthday). In Myanmar, it is "Full Moon Day of Kason" (ကဆုန္လျပည့္ေန႕). Many other Asian countries, such as Nepal, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia and Indonesia, celebrate this auspicious day, which Buddhists pay high esteem to apparently. (Reference: Vesākha)

Though I am just a traditional Buddhist, my paternal grandparents are very religious and devoted ones. Although they come from the mainland of China during war (I am not sure which war it was... although my grandpa have always told me about it), they take auspicious days regarding with Buddha in Myanmar seriously. They always keep sabbath, do meditation, and good deeds in pagodas, especially Shwedagon Pagoda.

Though I used to accompany them to Shwedagon, I have never kept sabbath with them till now (for skipping dinner is a pain for me.. heehee =D). I still remember we ate Myanmar food (အေႀကာ္စုံသုပ္၊ မုန္႕တီသုပ္၊ ဘိန္းမုန္႕, etc) on the way back. Sometimes, they give some pocket-money to my little brother and me. I still recall how I peeled apples for them if they gave me pocket-money. :D Don't take me wrong. I am always a good grandaughter no matter what :P.

So, this morning, I miss my family when I realized that it's one of the days we've used to go to Shwedagon together. I am sure they will still go there today, in my parents' and little brother's accompaniment. =)

As for me, I'll rot in my small room reading books and watching some dramas. What a boring day though..

Have a nice day! =B

Kyel Kywai Chain

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...